Blog 7
Final Draft Long Essay
I
had always had a set plan in my head of what I believed was going to happen
with my life. Before this experience I would have never believed anyone who
told me that my plans would change. However, when an awful experience happened
in my life, fate rewarded me with a new experience. This experience changed my
life forever. It made me realize that plans may not always go as you imagined
them, sometimes they will go even better.
We had so many plans, my best friend
Jackie and I. We had graduated from community college together and were
starting our next journey in life. This meant being roommates at Kean
University. The first two month were awesome. We had been having the time of
our lives, as well as both doing very well in school. However, around the
middle of October I had met a group of girls from class. We began hanging out
with them all the time. I soon realized that I did not get along with them as
well as Jackie did. They always wanted to go out partying, whereas, I was more
interested in doing well in school. This had caused some distance between
Jackie and I but we had a talk that week about how we would always be best
friends and just because we had other friends nothing would change. This is why
what happened next is something I never could have imagined.
I was sitting in class when I got a
text from Jackie saying she needed to tell me something. “What’s up?” I asked
her. She told me that she felt as though living together had ruined our
friendship. She also told me that she had moved her stuff out of our room and
that she was going to be living with the other girls from now on. I was
dumfounded. I never imagined that she would do something like that. We usually
talked about everything. Whenever we had an issue, we talked it out. I was
amazed that she had not said something to me about it before. Especially when
we had just spent the entire day before shopping together and had a great time.
She had even told me “I had so much fun today, we need to have days with just
us two more often.” When I got back to the room I knew I would find an empty
side. However, I never imagined that I would find half of MY stuff gone also.
This infuriated me. I texted her asking where my stuff was. She replied, “Oops
must have accidentally taken it.” I instantaneously knew that she had done this
to get a rise out of me. I calmly asked her to return my stuff the next day and
that I was very upset so I did not want to talk to her for a few days.
The next day I was not going to be
home. So I asked my suitemate to let Jackie in so that she could return my
stuff. She said it was no problem. Now, my suitemate and I had never really
been friends. She was a huge pot head who liked to get high and go to parties
till all hours of the night. I didn’t bother her and she didn’t bother me, we just
stayed out of each other’s way. However, she and Jackie had hated each other.
They had an altercation the day we moved in and had never gotten along since.
When I returned home that day I was surprised to see her moving her stuff out
as well. Just then I got a call from my Residence Hall Director asking me to
come down to his office. As I walked downstairs I was completely confused about
what was going on. He brought me into his office and shut the door. He then
told me that Jackie had told my suitemate I was spreading rumors about her and telling
people that she was a slut. He said he knew that none of this was true but that
he had to respect their wishes to be put in different rooms. I could not figure
out why Jackie had made up something like that? Was it because I told her I
didn’t want to speak to her for a while? Whatever the reason, I burst out into
tears. My RHD then told me that he made the girls sign no contract orders so
that they would not be allowed to have any contact with me and that if they did
try to contact me they would be reported to the dean of residence life. I was
so confused how my whole world had changed so much in a matter of two days. All
the plans that I had and that Jackie and I had made together were completely
destroyed.
I didn’t think that there was anyway the week
could get any possible worse. But it did, the moment I remembered it was
Halloween that weekend and that I was supposed to be going to party with my now
ex best friend. However, my other friend, Luke, had other plans for us. He sent
me a text that he was coming over. When he got there, he was very surprised by
what he saw. The room that was once so cluttered and full was now empty. The
bed that had housed ten blankets at a time was completely bare down to the mattress
and frame. When Luke had gotten over his initial shock he decided it was time
to fill me in on what the weekend’s plan was going to be. His plan? Let’s go to
Temple University for Halloween. All of his friends from home went there so we
had a place to stay and Temple was known for their insane parties. Due to
recent events I didn’t have any other plans so I figured, why not?
I
had work on Friday until six. When I got done I rushed back to school, packed
my stuff, and met Luke at his dorm. The first stop was the most important, the
liquor store. I ended up deciding on my favorite drink, a bottle of Fireball
Whiskey. I figured getting a whole bottle would allow me to drink some now and
have some for a few more weekends. After the liquor store we got on the road to
start our journey to Temple University. Neither of us knew what was going to
happen that night, but we were ready for an adventure.
When
we finally got to Temple we met up with his friend Matt that we were going to
be staying with. He was a nice kid, an engineering major. He lived on campus in
the dorms that were an immense amount nicer then the dorms at Kean. Matt told
us that there were a million parties going on and that we were going to just
walk around and stop at a few. He also mentioned that he had a friend named
Anthony who owned a house down the street and that we were probably going to
end up there by the end of the night. We quickly got ready and headed out with
our backpack full of liquor. While we were walking we started taking shots from
our individual bottle. The first two shots burned my throat but after that the
drinks started going down smoother and smoother until they began to taste like
water.
We
wandered to about five different parties, each one the same. They all consisted
of drunk girls dressed in slutty costumes, drunk dudes hitting on the slutty
girls, and then the people who were just looking to be drunk. That is the
category we fell under. After we decided that these parties all sucked, Matt
suggested that we go their friend Anthony’s house. It was only a short two
minute walk. However being as drunk as I was it only felt like thirty seconds.
This place was different than the others. It was a chill spot with only around
fifteen people there. We liked it, so we decided to stay. I remember playing
beer pong and flip cup but the events that happened after that all seemed to be
a blur.
The
next morning I woke up in Matt’s dorm. My head was killing me and I knew that I
was definitely still drunk. The boys woke up around the same time. “What the
hell happened last night?” I asked. They both began laughing. Like I said
before I remember playing beer pong and flip cup. I just couldn’t remember much
of anything after that. I vaguely remember telling some guy he was cute and
giving him my number. However, today I had no idea what his name was, what he
looked like, or if my sober self would think he was cute. They told me that the
kid had come to the party with some of the people that lived with Matt and that
right away I walked up and told him I thought he was adorable and that he had
the most beautiful blue eyes ever. I
also apparently gave him my number and told him to call me. I then asked Luke
and Matt where my bottle had gone to. They informed that instead of drinking
some of it like I planned, I had drank the entire thing last night. That
explained a lot.
The
whole ride home I was curious about this guy I met at the party. What was his
name? What had I said to him? I figured that I had probably made a fool of
myself and that he would never text me. I thought wrong. Later that night Luke
and I were getting ready to go to a party on campus and I got a text from a
random number. “Hey, it’s Roger. I don’t know if you remember this but you gave
me your number last night at Anthony’s house.” I have to admit I was a little
excited to hear from this mystery man. I showed Luke and he also thought it was
pretty awesome. He told me that this kid and I had talked all night at the
party and that we couldn’t keep ourselves away from each other. After a few
questions I found out some things that I had been wondering the night before.
His name was Roger Roper. He was in fact adorable, which I found out after some
Instagram stalking, and he was interested in getting to know me.
After
a week of texting nonstop, Roger asked if I would like to have dinner with him
Friday night. I said that I would love to. However, he lived about an hour away
in central Jersey. He assured me that it wasn’t a problem for him to drive. He
came up Friday night and we took the train into Hoboken for dinner. The
conversation flowed so easily. On top of that I thought he was the most
adorable guy I had ever met. He was tall, about six foot, with clear blue eyes,
blonde hair, and a nice clean cut beard. I had always had a thing for beards.
Roger and I walked around Hoboken until we found somewhere to eat dinner. It
was a little Mexican place called Sabores. The dinner was delicious. However,
it took us a longtime to eat because we couldn’t stop talking. When we were
finished our dinner we wandered into a bar called Green Rock. We had a few
drinks and then walked around some more. After that we decided it was time to
get home. When we got back to campus I invited Roger to stay the night because
I knew in my gut that this guy was different.
Since
that night Roger and I have been inseparable. We have been dating for about six
months now, although it feels much longer than that. In those six months Roger
has become not only my best friend, but the person that I plan on spending the
rest of my life with. I had plans on what exactly was going to happen with the
rest of my life, plans with my best friend. When that friendship fell apart I
felt like the plans and my future were ruined. Little did I know that fate had
much bigger plans for me. This experience made me realize that nothing is every
concrete and plans can change in a matter of seconds. However, when one door
closes, fate will reward you with opening a new door. If you are lucky this new
door will bring something, or someone, into your life that will change it
forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment