Tuesday, May 6, 2014

 Final Short Essay

I was lying in an ambulance. I remember they kept telling me not to fall asleep but I couldn't help it. I was so tired. “Michele,” I could hear the EMT say, “we gave you morphine to help with the pain but you have to stay awake and stay with us.” That wasn't going to happen. I could feel my eyelids slowly drifting shut. They were so heavy, like two dumbbells had been placed on them. I tried to remember what had happened but I couldn't. I remember I was driving to school to take my final and that was it. The rest is a blur.

I woke up in the hospital a few hours later. My parents were sitting next to me. I wondered what had happened. I was so confused. Once they realized I was awake they rushed to my side. "What is going on?" I asked. They told me that i had been in a very bad car accident. I had fallen asleep while driving to take my last final of the semester and crashed my car. I had been rushed to the hospital because I was believed to have internal bleeding. I didn't know what to make of all this. All I knew is that I was tired again.

The next time I woke up it was by a nurse telling me it was time to go home. I was told that I did not have internal bleeding. However, I did suffer very bad blunt force trauma and was extremely bruised. On the drive home I kept remembering bits and pieces of what happened. I had gotten in the car and started driving. I knew I was tired from the night before but I didn't realize how tired I was. In one quick second my life changed forever.

That day had started out normal. I was on my way to take my final, my very last final before Christmas break. Instead, I was in bed for a week with bruising so severe it felt like the Hulk was punching me in the chest anytime I moved. Everything had gone from normal to intense in a matter of seconds.

No comments:

Post a Comment